Friday, May 29, 2015

A Visit to the Heath Ceramics Factory

In mid-May I went to San Francisco for a mini family reunion to celebrate my niece's graduation. We are amazingly proud of her! Monica got a Master's degree from the Energy & Resources Group, University of California, Berkeley. Her Master's project dealt with electric vehicles. We had an outstanding time visiting the sights and going to great restaurants.

I spent one day with my daughter's in-laws, Bob and Cindie, who took me to Sausalito to visit the Heath Ceramics factory. What a treat! 

Heath Ceramics was founded in 1948 by Edith Heath (1911–2005) after her work was stocked by the Gump's store in San Francisco. The company has a production factory and store in Sausalito, a tile production factory and store in San Francisco, and a ceramics studio and store in Los Angeles. Today, Heath Ceramics is owned by Robin Petravic and Catherine Bailey, and is known for its distinctive glazes and handcrafted stoneware. Follow this link to a virtual tour of the factory to see how things are made.

 
Heath Ceramics recently won the 2015 National Design Award for corporate and institutional achievement given by the Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum.


I bought myself a little bud vase from a display of seconds.  I suppose that this lovely item is considered a second because the matte glaze is shiny in places.

No comments: