Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rejected

My grandson's school is having a silent auction fundraiser. I told my daughter that I would donate some pottery. My intention was to donate several important pieces so that, together, they would make a significant enough contribution to the school. Today I found out that the organizers of the silent auction declined my offer of support. "They said they don't want housewares, Mom. They said that you could give them a couple of matching mugs for them to put in a pricey coffee basket." I was thinking of giving them some of my best pieces. I wonder who these people are who reject offers of support when they are out hat-in-hand? The person who rejected my work has never seen it. She rejected it because it was handmade or, as she said, "we don't want any homemade stuff." As if I were sitting at my dining-room table rolling out clay snakes and making ashtrays. I am speechless.

I am grateful for the great potters of the Etsy Mud Team who rallied to my support when I reported this and told them I was a bit down in the dumps about it. Please support the potters of the Etsy Mud Team and check out their work at Etsy Mud Team Catalog.

Oh, and about Jacob's school... please support it as well. Kingsbury Day School is a wonderful school for children with learning disabilities and Jacob has flourished there.

2 comments:

KayzKreationz said...

That is unbelievable. They should at least give you the courtesy of checking out your pieces before deciding whether or not they would accept or reject them. Unfortunately, that is the perception many have of handmade items. I've run across the same attitude towards my hand designed, hand-crafted gifts for people for weddings and graduations. Consequently I don't give them anymore to anyone but just a select few. I love your pottery. Keep up the good work and your chin. :)
http://KayzKreationz.blogspot.com
http://KayzKreationz.etsy.com

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely deplorable, the idea of rejecting an offer of help is beyond me but a part of me isn't surprised as it seems to point to a cultural depravity that is the product of years of consumption for consumption's sake. i'm sorry that this has happened to you and would like to say that they are the crazy ones and you are the sane one (i'm sure you already know this though), this would have been unthinkable 30 years ago.