Friday, September 30, 2011

Earthquake Aftermath

Phil Rogers pitcher
As everyone already knows, a 5.8 magnitude earthquake hit Virginia on August 23rd, 2011. My husband and I were at the kitchen table at the time... we stared at each other for a moment, as the rumble got louder, I yelled "earthquake" and ran outside with Chris following right behind. Oddly, our old dog, Katie, didn't bat an eye and I had to jump over her to get out of the kitchen.

We didn't have a lot of damage. Of the three shelves of pottery inventory only 3 things broke and, as I always say, "I can make another one!"

Not so with the pottery displayed in the dining room... these were pieces I've bought over the years that, to me, are irreplaceable: a Phil Rogers pitcher, a sculptural vessel made by Annette Hansen, and a bottle made by Fran Newquist.

We collected as many shards as we could and they have sat on the dining room table all this time... Chris got me several different types of glue/epoxy/cement to try to mend the pieces but I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything about them. Finally, Chris started to glue the Phil Rogers pot... It was not easy and the joins seems very "iffy."  I would just like to be able to put the pieces back together in order to keep them... I just can't bring myself to throw them away!

Sadly, I can't find any photos where these pieces are visible intact... Here they are...


Annette Hansen Sculptural Vessel
Fran Newquist bottle


No comments: