Saturday, June 1, 2013

Reycling Clay

 I love my pugmill! It has really made recycling clay so much easier.

This is how clay gets recyled in my studio. I reuse the bags that the clay comes in to line a bucket that sits next to my wheel. As I work all the scraps that don't end up in the slop bucket go into this bucket. Periodically, I empty the contents of the slop bucket into the recycle bucket as well to hydrate the dried clay. 

Once the bag starts getting heavy I know it's time for the second step. I line a cat litterpan with some of the dirty towels in the studio and pour the contents of the bag into it. I cover it up with other towels and slip the pan under the work table. It will stay there for as long as it takes (depending on the heat/humidity) for the clay to be dry enough to wedge. 

At this point, if I'm not ready to put it through the pug mill I cut it up into manageable pieces and put it in a plastic bag to make sure that it doesn't dry out too much. Then it's into the pugmill! And out come these great logs of clay that only require a couple of turns wedging and they're ready to go!

  








2 comments:

Judi Tavill said...

Totally jealous.
Did you see my last post?
did you buy it new?

Graciela Testa Lynt said...

Judy, I commented on your post. It's a 1999 bluebird and I bought it used 3 years ago... It's a great investment... I run all the clay through it, not just the clay I'm recycling... It really makes it easier on the wrists! I recommend you get one!